The current tax structure does not allow a business person to take tax credits. There are lot of chances that double taxation takes place at every step of supply chain. This may set to change with the implementation of GST.
Indian Government is opting for Dual System GST. This system will have two components which will be known as
- Central Goods and Service Tax (CGST) and
- State Goods and Service Tax (SGST).
The current taxes like Excise duties, service tax, custom duty etc will be merged under CGST. The taxes like sales tax, entertainment tax, VAT and other state taxes will be included in SGST.
So, how is GST Levied? GST will be levied on the place of consumption of Goods and services. It can be levied on :
- Intra-state supply and consumption of goods & services
- Inter-state movement of goods
- Import of Goods & Services